Women in Renewable Energy (WiRE) is pleased to award Student Bursaries to women college or university students to attend Conferences throughout the year. The Bursaries support women to attend conference sessions and seminars on current energy topics and issues, view state-of-the-art technology at exhibitions, meet women and men in the energy sector, and connect with employers about potential internships or permanent positions.
With the generous support of each partner Association and WiRE, the Bursaries cover registration for the conference (and included meals). Additional expenses are not covered and are the responsibility of the recipient. As part of each bursary, the recipient agrees to help manage the WiRE exhibiting booth at each conference for a small period of time. This allows the recipient to network with the WiRE Team, meet other conference attendees, and become part of the WiRE team for the day. The Bursaries are awarded based on demonstrated interest in renewable energy, academic achievement, work experience and potential for future contributions to the renewable energy community.
Available Conference Bursaries
Ontario Waterpower Association (OWA) – Power of Water Canada Conference
October 17-19, 2016
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario
Description: This event is the LARGEST HYDROELECTRIC conference in Canada. With more than 60 exhibitors, 400 delegates and several speakers sharing their knowledge and expertise, this event is the must attend hydroelectric event of the year!
Student Bursary Application Deadline: September 23, 2016
Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) – Annual Conference and Exhibition
November 1 – 3, 2016
Description: Learn – Network – Support Wind Energy. The Annual Canadian Wind Energy Conference & Exhibition is the meeting point for all members of the wind energy industry – top business executives, technical experts, decision and policy makers, and government representatives – to come together and address the key issues facing the industry today.
Student Bursary Application Deadline: September 30, 2016
Association of Power Producers of Ontario (APPrO) - 28th Annual Canadian Power Conference & Networking Centre
November 15 & 16
Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto, Ontario.
Description: The Canadian Power Conference is the leading annual event of its kind in Canada, including two days of information sharing by the industry's most knowledgeable and expert speakers, stimulating discussion among the key players and innovators and prime networking opportunities at hosted events including the Power Networking Centre.
Student Bursary Application Deadline: October 7, 2016
Canadian Solar Industry Association (CanSIA) – Solar Canada
December 5- 6
Description: Network with thousands of attendees and hundreds of exhibitors representing the entire solar industry: solar integration, development, engineering and EPC, equipment manufacturers, utilities, consultants, federal, provincial and municipal governments, communities, and students.
Student Bursary Application Deadline: October 28, 2016
- The Bursaries are available to any woman who is a currently enrolled student, or recent graduate of a college or university
- Bursary applicants may be interested in any sector of renewable energy, including academic, manufacturing, technical, consulting, engineering, finance, and others.
- Applicants must be planning to pursue a career in the energy sector.
- As part of the Bursary process, each recipient will be required to undertake a mandatory shift with the WiRE exhibiting team, helping to manage WiRE’s display booth at the conference for which the bursary is awarded.
- The recipient is required to cover all her own costs for transportation and accommodation – the bursary applies to the conference registration fee only.
To Apply - Application package must include
- Current résumé or CV
- Statement of Interest (300-600 words) describing why the applicant is interested, describing highlights of academic and/or work history, experience in renewable energy, career goal(s), and reasons for attending APPrO2016 and how attendance will benefit the applicant, her community, campus, and/or organization
- Complete contact information, including phone, email, and mailing address
- Letters of recommendation are encouraged, but not required.
- Please submit applications electronically to email@example.com by the deadline outlined above for each conference.
- Please bundle all of the above items into ONE PDF File, and save with the format: “Conference_LastName_FirstName”.
- Example: OWA_Smith_Jane.pdf
- Example: APPrO_Smith_Jane.pdf
- In the subject line of the email, please list the Conference you are applying for and your last name/first name, like this:
- Example of Subject Line: OWA_Smith_Jane.doc
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed by committee, and successful recipients will be notified. We will do our best to notify you 3-4 weeks ahead of the conference.